James V. Luck, Jr., M.D.
Professional Titles & Positions
Director of Surgical Services and Rehabilitation, Orthopaedic Hemophilia Treatment Center
Clinical Professor, UCLA/Orthopaedic Hospital Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, David Geffen School of Medicine at University of California Los Angeles
Residency Program Director, UCLA/Orthopaedic Hospital Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, David Geffen School of Medicine at University of California Los Angeles
Primary Area of Practice
Orthopaedic Hemophilia Treatment Center, 2400 South Flower Street, Los Angeles, CA 90007 Appointments: Phone (213 ) 742-1402 Fax (213) 213-742-1103
Private Practice, 2400 South Flower Street, Los Angeles, CA 90007 Appointments: Phone (213 ) 749-8255 Fax (213) 213-749-9442
Hospital and Institute Affiliation(s)
Orthopaedic Hemophilia Treatment Center
Santa Monica-UCLA Medical Center and Orthopaedic Hospital
Medical Board Certifications
American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, 1975.
American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, Recertified 2002.
Medical Degree: University of Southern California. Degree: M.D.
Residency: Orthopaedic Surgery; Los Angeles Orthopaedic Hospital
Fellowship: Adult Reconstruction and Musculoskeletal Tumors, Los Angeles Orthopaedic Hospital and Rancho Los Amigos Hospital – Arthritis and Spine Services
Fellowship: Berg-Sloat Traveling Fellowship awarded by the Orthopaedic Research and Education Foundation for study in Europe and American-Scandinavian Foundation grant for research in Finland
Adult reconstruction and orthopaedic problems related to Hemophilic Arthropathy
Past President and Director, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, Inc. (ABOS)
Medical Advisory Board, Shriners Hospitals for Children, National Headquarters
Past Chairman of the Maintenance of Certification Committee for the ABOS Member of the AAOS/ABOS Combined Task Force on Maintenance of Certification
Past Chairman and Member, Residency Review Committee of the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME)
Residency Review Committee (RRC), specialist site surveyor
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
American Orthopaedic Association
California Orthopaedic Association
Former President and Chief Executive Officer, Los Angeles Orthopaedic Hospital and Los Angeles Orthopaedic Hospital Foundation, 1989-2011
United States Air Force: Major
Awards and Recognition
Orthopaedic Teacher of the Year Award and Special Resident’s Award for Excellence in Teaching (Orthopaedic Hospital)
Twinned Centers of the Year-1997, presented by the World Federation of Hemophilia
1. Luck JV Jr. Comparing Two Articles on Osteonecrosis in Sickle Cell Disease. JBJS, 88(A):2563-2564, 2006.
2. Silva M, Luck JV Jr. Radial Head Excision and Synovectomy in Patients with Hemophilia. JBJS, 90(A), Suppl. 2:254-261, 2008.
3. Llinas A, Silva M, Pasta P, Luck JV, Asencio JG, Fernandez-Palazzi F, Caviglia H, Manco Johnson m, Seuser A. Controversial subject in musculoskeletal care of hemophilia: Cross fire. Haemophilia, 16(Suppl 5): 132-135, 2010.
1. Silva M, Luck JV Jr. Radial Head Excision and Synovectomy in Patients with Hemophilia. JBJS, 89(A):2156-2162, 2007.
2. Silva M, Luck JV Jr, Quon D, Young CC, Chin D, Ebramzadeh E, Fong YJ. Inter and Intra-observer Reliability of Radiographic Scores Commonly used for the Evaluation of Hemophilic Arthropathy. Haemophilia, 14(3):504-12, 2008.